Photography, Recipes and Food Styling: Flavor Republic
(Mahy Megahed & Mariam Shawki)
Client: Seoudi Supermarkets
If you know us, you know our favorite kind of collaborations are with homegrown businesses. One of our newest collaborations is with Seoudi Supermarkets. Over the next few months, watch out for our recipes around their stores. Here are some delicious ones:
BARBECUED Seafood Platter
- 4 tsp sweet paprika
- 1½ tsp dried chili flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red grape vinegar
- 6 small squid tubes, cleaned
- 6 king prawns (shrimp)
- 2 raw blue crabs
- 500g mussels
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- Lemon wedges and aioli, to serve
Preheat a large char-grill pan or barbecue to high heat. Place the paprika, the chili, garlic, lemon rind, oil and vinegar in a small bowl and mix to combine. Reserve ¼ cup (60ml) of the mixture.
Place the squid, prawn, mussels and crab on a large oven tray, drizzle with the paprika mixture and toss to coat. Cook the crab, covered, for 5 minutes each side. Set aside and keep warm.
Add the prawns and squid and cook for 1–2 minutes each side or until charred and just cooked. Set aside and keep warm.
Add the mussels and cook, covered, for 1–2 minutes or until opened. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve with lemon wedges, and the reserved dressing.
Grilled Gilt-Head Bream with Garlic Soya Sauce
For The Fish
- 3 Gilthead Bream Fish
- 10 garlic cloves
- Lime slices
- Olive oil
- Knob of butter
- Handful fresh parsley
- Cracked black pepper
- Cherry tomatoes
- Melt the butter in a small pan and add the pepper, lemon zest, parsley and olive oil, mix well.
- Place the fish onto a baking tray and pour over the marinade, along with the cherry tomato, lime slices and garlic cloves.
- Bake in a preheated 180C oven for 35-40 mins.
For the Garlic Soya Sauce
- 1/2 cup dark soy sauce
- 2/3 brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Place the soy sauce and sugar in a saucepan and cook over low heat until slightly caramelized and thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the garlic. Cool and serve.
Roasted Chicken with Veggies
- 1 crushed garlic
- olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme
- 1.6 kg whole chicken
- 2 medium onions
- 2 carrots
- 6 baby potatoes
Preheat your oven to 240°C/475°F/gas 9.
Roughly chop all the vegetables. Put all the veggies and garlic into the middle of a large oven-proof pot and drizzle with olive oil.
Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper, thyme.
Put the lemon inside the chicken’s cavity, with the rest of the thyme.
To cook your chicken place it on top of the vegetables in the roasting tray and put it into the preheated oven. Turn the heat down immediately to 200°C/400°F/gas 6 and cook the chicken for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Baste the chicken halfway through cooking and if the veg look dry. When cooked, take the tray out of the oven and let rest for 15 minutes before transferring to a serving dish.
- 4 pieces beef ribs
- Kosher salt
- 1 large egg beaten
- Season beef ribs on both sides with ½ tsp kosher salt.
- Combine all breadcrumbs ingredients in a large shallow bowl.
- Place beaten egg in a separate bowl and dip beef chops into the egg mixture, then into the crumb mixture.
- Place on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Pesto Sauce Ingredients
- 3 cups fresh basil, packed
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Place the fresh basil, grated Parmesan, pine nuts, garlic cloves, lemon juice, and salt in a food processor.
- Pulse ingredients into a coarse mixture, scraping sides as needed.
- While pulsing, slowly drizzle oil through top feed tube and process until well combined and pesto looks uniform.
- Serve with the beef ribs with vegetables on a side.