Photography, Recipes and Food Styling: Flavor Republic
(Mahy Megahed, Hana Shash, and Dina Oraby)
Client: Seoudi Supermarkets
Need some breakfast, lunch or dinner inspiration? We've got it covered! Check out our latest recipe series launched exclusively for Seoudi Supermarkets.
● 2 tbsp olive oil
● 8 cloves garlic, chopped
● 2 small shallots, minced
● 1 ½ cup vegetable broth
● 3 tbsp unsalted butter
● 2 tbsp minced thyme
● Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
● 900g mussels, scrubbed
● 2 tbsp minced parsley
● Crusty bread, for serving (optional)
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook garlic and shallots until golden.
- Add broth, butter, thyme, salt, and pepper and boil. Add mussels and cook, covered, until shells open.
- Stir in parsley; serve with bread.
STUFFED PIGEONS WITH CORIANDER RUB & ROASTED POMEGRANATE
For the stuffing:
100 g rice
50 g pistachio nuts, shelled chopped
½ pomegranate, seeds removed
1 tsp pomegranate molasses
½ tsp freshly ground coriander seeds
10 g fresh parsley, leaves removed and finely chopped
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the pigeons:
1 tsp freshly ground coriander seeds
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
1½ pomegranates, broken into rough sections
- Make the stuffing by mixing all stuffing ingredients in a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Snip out the pigeon necks with scissors and remove the very end part of the wings. Season the inside of the pigeons with salt and black pepper and stuff them.
- Mix the coriander and salt together with 1 tbsp of the oil and rub over the pigeons.
- Tie the legs loosely with twine. Place the pigeons in boiled water until rice is cooked. Then place them in a roasting tin and pour over 1 tbsp of oil. Roast for 25 minutes. Add the pomegranate pieces, drizzle again with 1 tbsp of oil and roast for another 10 minutes.
- Just before serving, squeeze the pomegranate pieces over the birds, and then drizzle them with a little extra olive oil and sprinkle with salt to taste.
RASPBERRY CREAM CHEESE FRENCH TOAST BAKE
• 1 white toast, cut into squares
• 1 container raspberries
• 1 block cream cheese
• 5 eggs
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1 tbs honey
• ½ tsp cinnamon
• ⅓ cup sugar
• Powdered sugar
• Maple syrup, to serve
- Spray a 22cm x 22cm baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- Add half of your bread to bottom of pan and sprinkle with raspberries (reserving a few for topping) and cream cheese.
- Top with remaining bread and press down.
- In bowl mix together eggs, cream, honey, cinnamon and sugar and pour over top of your bake until covered.
- Cover with tin foil, pressing down again to smoosh everything together.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat your oven to 170C and place covered bake in and bake for 30 minutes then remove tin foil and bake for another 30 minutes until tops turn golden and center is set.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly and sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with syrup.
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
1 ½ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 and ½ cups whole milk
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 and ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest
Fresh whipped cream
- In a large bowl add the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; whisk well to combine. In a separate bowl add the eggs and lightly beat them with a whisk. Add in the milk, ricotta, and vanilla and beat until well combined. Stir this wet mixture into the dry ingredients, stirring just until everything is combined. Quickly fold in the lemon juice and zest, stirring until evenly combined. Be careful not to over mix the batter.
- Pour batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto a buttered hot pan or griddle, adding only a few at a time so that they do not blend together. Cook for about 3 minutes before flipping them over, or until small bubbles form on top. Cook on the second side until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes.
- Repeat with all pancake batter. Serve pancakes warm, with syrup or whipped cream & fresh berries.